08 December 2011

Shame

I try to avoid using words like "ashamed" on my blog because, frankly, I've never been ashamed of the US. I'm proud to be American, and I love my country.  I'm often critical, but I always hope, perhaps naïvely, that my criticisms will help amplify the voice that is calling for change.

However, the United States' performance in Durban this week has been dismal, and for the first time in my life, I am ashamed of my country.

Climate change, at least the rapid climate change that we're experiencing, is a result of man's interference with natural processes.  Since the Industrial Revolution, the amount of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere has increased exponentially.  In all the talk about carbon dioxide, people often forget other more potent GHGs like methane, which has increased even more rapidly than CO2.  These GHGs cause the earth to warm, and the science that supports that is very clear.  The uncertainty surrounding climate change comes from predictions of future warming, and it's exacerbated by ratings-hungry media that skew the truth, or just lie.

America, Europe and Japan have enjoyed the most obvious benefits of industrialization, and out of those three, America is the only one unwilling to bear the burden of responsibility.


Now, some people may say "America shouldn't be responsible for the world's problems." But they're hypocrites, because it's very likely that the people who think America shouldn't pay for climate change are the same people who think America has some sacrosanct charge to spread democracy all around the world, or something.

The US response to climate change represents the carelessness that has pervaded American culture and the laziness that is eroding the foundation of our country's greatness.  Corporate greed has permeated our politics, and businesses are strangling the democratic process.  A government's only role is to protect the welfare of its citizens, from enemies both at home and abroad.  The United States is failing to do that.  Examples of this manifest daily.  Most recently, a tainted aquifer in Wyoming was linked to hydraulic fracturing, a disgusting process that I've discussed numerous times on this blog.  Scientists warned us that this was not only possible, but likely.  Congress ignored them, and this failure of government is indicative of a  much more widespread and serious problem.  Even now, people are actually ignorant enough to listen to industry representatives who question the motives of the EPA.

As if the US's self-destruction weren't bad enough, its combative stance at Durban is hindering other countries from taking meaningful action.  But, as a friend of mine pointed out the other day, the dialogue has shifted.  NGOs and other countries are no longer willing to pander to the US's lack of accountability; instead, they're saying "Get out of the way."  The selfishness of US officials is embarrassing enough by itself.  The intentional obstruction of progress is criminal.

For almost two decades, the United States has been spouting the same empty rhetoric about binding emissions targets and global responsibility.  As I said the other day, developing countries like China have indicated that they're willing to commit to binding goals, and America's childish response (or lack of response, rather) highlights its selfishness and hypocrisy. Is America the reprobate of international climate negotiations? In the infamous words of Sarah Palin, you betcha'.

Feeling ashamed of my country is new, and it's upsetting.  I've lived in China and Europe, so I'm used to hearing people criticize the US, and I've certainly been embarrassed by some of our policies.  But usually they're justifiable to some extent, or at least the consequences are more or less easy for me to ignore.  Environmental protection is different.  I was brought up to love and respect my country.  Both of my grandfathers were in the US military, but I'm convinced that the country they fought for then isn't the country I live in today - one that pushes aside the rights of people for the profits of companies and one that shamelessly shirks its responsibilities to the global community.  Like Abigail Borah, I'm scared for my future, and the one country that could and should be working to ensure that it's safe is wasting my time and yours by ignoring the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment